18 Comments

1. TOM
    February 5, 2018 @ 3:49 pm

Take out people who drive like idiots snowmobiles or atv/utv. When the trails are soft there is a difference between how a 15 inch track and and 8-9 inch tire affects the trail driving responsible, and anyone who says the tires don’t leave ruts is either dishonest or just plain stupid. I believe in full disclosure if you are going to defend and promote atv/utv use year round make it known you are a dealer giving you a vested interest in having year round use. And if these atv/utv riders are truly responsible riders I think they would be more than willing to buy a snowmobile trail pass like the sleds do since they are riding snowmobile trail developed by the snowmobile clubs, or let atv/utv develop there own winter trails.

2. Marinette County Shared Trails? - HCS Snowmobile Forums
    February 1, 2018 @ 9:17 am

[…] quite the discussion going on over there. 1-29-2018 ATVs on the snowmobile trails- Updated – The Big Snow Page […]

3. Bob
    January 31, 2018 @ 1:20 pm

My group has now sold all of our snowmobiles and bought UTV’s due to the poor winters and high cost of owning a snowmobile. I have literally ridden more than 30,000 miles over the last 30 years on snowmobiles- many in the Iron Snowshoe Trail System. I can assure you that most ATV/UTV riders are more careful and respectful than many snowmobiles. Rubber tires do not tear up the ice base or roads, carbides and studs on snowmobiles do. I have followed plenty of snowmobiles over the years, ridden by what we call “throttle jockeys” that have completely destroyed a freshly groomed trail. Most trails are on public land, and should therefore be open to ALL types of recreation. There are far more ATV’S/UTV’s currently registered in Wisconsin than snowmobiles, and clubs receive more trail $ per mile from the state for allowing ATV/UTV’s, than they get for snowmobiles. It is the future, and the clubs allowing winter ATV/UTV use are the pioneers!

4. John
    January 31, 2018 @ 2:38 am

I live in Athelstane and I do not snowmobile on trails where they allow UTV traffic.I will go to Oconto county. I ride my UTV in the summer when they shoukd be ridden.

5. Rob
    January 30, 2018 @ 10:48 pm

They are too wide. It’s that simple. I drive cautiously around blind corners but if it’s a giant UTV I am probably going to die. The trails are simply not wide enough for a UTV to tackle a blind corner on the outside edge, and still provide enough room for a sled to go past them.

6. Brian
    January 30, 2018 @ 4:47 pm

Of course a business is going to say they want UTV riders, they want more traffic into their business. What they don’t think about is that a lot of snowmobilers go to other areas because ATV/UTV riders tear up the trails, so that is business lost. While both UTV/ATV riders and snowmobile riders can tear up the trail depending on how they handle the throttle, snowmobile riders are generally more respectful of the trails and don’t tear them up. If a county or trail system wants to allow ATV/UTVs there should be a separate trail system.

7. Brad
    January 30, 2018 @ 3:53 pm

I do not ride very much in the areas that allow ATV’s & UTV’s, I usually lead so that means 8 to 10 sleds are not going into those areas. UTV’s so not be allow on any snowmobile trial during the winter unless they are under the 48″ rule, sleds can not be over 48″. they also should not be on the trial if the temps are to be predicted over 20 for the day. Snowmobilers should have full use of the trails for the 3 months and then let the ATV/UTV on them when we are done for the season. They are causing more trail base issue to the ground which then requires more snow to cover the rocks and gravel before we ride, the ATV clubs should be repairing the trail base in late fall with dirt and wood chips instead of gravel and rocks, then we would be able to ride with less snow. I do missing riding in the Dunbar area and Marinette county, but will continue to ride in Oconto, Langlade and Forest until they keep the UTV & ATV off. This is just a side note, why do the AVT clubs real that they need to ride on the sled trails but then turn around a prevent off road dirt bikes on their trails?

8. Russ
    January 30, 2018 @ 3:44 pm

No ATV’s during the winter. To much damage to the trails regardless of the temp. I have sleds and ATV’s and ride them when appropriate. Spring, Summer and Fall ATV’s Winter Sleds.

9. AJ
    January 30, 2018 @ 1:52 pm

I might as well drive my Jeep down the snowmobile trails, it’s about as wide as a lot of these UTV’s now a days, but I don’t. Wasn’t there a width restriction on UTV/ATV’s that the DNR is more or less ignoring? UTV/ATV’s should stay off the trail when warmer than 28F (hence not noticeable as much or at all when colder).
    I have both and would rather ride my snowmobile when weather permits it and avoid the trails that have high traffic and UTV/ATV’s on them.

AJ

• Scott
      January 30, 2018 @ 3:39 pm

I’m against having them on the trail as well. The trails aren’t wide enough for utv’s and most aren’t very respectful when it comes to trail conditions. They’ve got 8 months of the year to ride.

• Rosco K.
      January 30, 2018 @ 10:03 pm

Maximum width is 65″ for utvs and 50″ for atvs.

10. Dan Guendert
    January 30, 2018 @ 1:49 pm

Red Arrow Snowmobile/ATV Club does not allow winter ATV/UTV use on the trails- only from May- November. Nowhere in Oconto County is winter ATV/UTV allowed. We have ridden sleds in Northern Marinette trails many times and have not seen any more trail damage than we did yesterday (and many other days) in Langlade County where some throttle jockey with a heavy thumb and studded track tore through every corner- leaving a brown streak down to the gravel on every turn.

11. Brian
    January 30, 2018 @ 1:33 pm

Need to add the 28 degree rule every where. With the lack of snow we do get I am sure the bar owners like to see atv/utv riding year round. How many business took a hit up there because of lack of snow? I grew up with sleds, since I was 1 I was riding with my dad. Now I am 33 and I would personally not buy a sled due to the lack of snow. I do own an utv to ride on the trails. I didn’t go up last weekend knowing that the trails would be soft and didn’t want to rut them up. But if there isn’t a rule in place then you can’t complain about atv/utv’s. I was always under the impression if the temp was above freezing snowmobile trails were closed also?

12. Matt
    January 30, 2018 @ 3:20 am

ATVs can ride the trails the other 8 months of the year. Stay off the snowmobile trails Dec through March please!! I own both and want only snowmobiles on in the winter.

13. Tim
    January 30, 2018 @ 2:18 am

My brother and I had snowmobiled all of our lives. This year, we both bought new UTVs and sold all of the snowmobiles. Part of the reason was costs involved with snowmobiles, part of the reason was feeling older (we aren’t sore after a day of riding UTVs). The main reason was the bad winters and ability to use a UTV throughout most of the year vs having a snowmobile for 3 months (if that) and a separate 4 wheeler. We have noticed increased 4 wheeler/UTV use the past few years while still on snowmobiles. Our opinion was not that the trails were ripped up by 4 wheelers. Sure, there were those that spun their wheels a lot and left a bad impression, but we have seen just as many worn down stripes all the way down the trails from someone spinning their snowmobile track. It involves the respect of the driver more than the type of vehicle. We drive in all wheel drive on the snow and have retraced our tracks on the way back and could not tell the difference that we ever went through. We drive slow and cautious through blind trails to try to avoid the snowmobile throttle jockeys (same as when we were on snowmobiles). In conversations with member business owners within the Iron Snowshoe system, so far their opinion is that ALL the trails should be open to ATV/UTVs in the winter. From a tourism aspect, Marinette County is winning, and Oconto County is losing business as we are not allowed over there. Over the past month, we have enjoyed the trails on our UTVs which looked pretty ugly for snowmobiles; no more concern for changing slide rails or damaging parts.

14. jeremy
    January 29, 2018 @ 10:38 pm

atv’s should not be allowed on snowmobile trails during winter,we all know why they shouldn’t be.there should be separate trail system for them in winter if they want to ride…

• Jessy
      January 29, 2018 @ 11:21 pm

I ride a lot in athelstane. We have had to avoid the shared atv trails for a couple years. It has made the group I ride with start going to different areas in the state. The shared trails always have ruts or more sand mixed into the snow.

• Travis
      January 29, 2018 @ 11:45 pm

I agree they flat out ruin the snowmobile trailes. They have all summer to tear the shit out of everything stay off the trails in the winter!!!